Saturday, January 10, 2009

the big update

My bad!  I know, I know, I haven't posted for a very long time, but I hope to be better about it from now on.
Well, let's see.....I did finally get myself a spinning wheel in June of 2008.  It's a Penguin Wheel.  That means it looks like, well, a Penguin!  It is a quill wheel with no flyer, more in common with a Rio Grande or a walking wheel, then a typical wheel most people use nowadays.  I decided to go this route for several reasons.  First and foremost, since there is no flyer, there is no restriction to what I feed my wheel.  One inch across buttons,  giant weird clumps, felted flowers, the limit is my imagination!  It's been a lot of fun so far.  

And now, drum roll please.....TaDaaaah!!!!
Penguin Quill Wheel, number 258. Manufactured between 1972 and 1974 in Sunshine Canyon, Colorado. Black walnut veneer with pine upright. Single treadle, direct drive with no belt. Spindle wheel sits directly on drive wheel with an adjustable spring to tension the spindle head down onto the drive wheel. 

No comments: